We are delighted to announce an award from Heritage Lottery Fund to create a living graphic novel about the First World War experiences of Hastings-born combatant Archie Belaney who signed up with the 13th Montreal Battalion: the Canadian Black Watch. We have teamed up with the Hastings Museum & Art Gallery and Gateways to the First World War Engagement Centre to work with a group of volunteers aged 16-25 from Hastings Museum’s Young Curators and the De La Warr Pavilion group to research, “unpack” and interpret the experiences of Archie who disappeared from his life in Hastings to entirely adopt the life of a Canadian Native American fur-trapper and woodsman – including taking the name “Grey Owl” – before fighting in the trenches as a sniper. The research, conducted with the help of Gateways to the First World War, will culminate in the creation of a living graphic novel exploring Archie’s experiences in the Trenches and life in Canada. This will be screened with a live score by the Cabinet of Living Cinema at the museum and at Gulbenkian, Canterbury (University of Kent), in early 2019, with screenings followed by a Q & A panel featuring volunteers, the Cabinet and the animation team (Julia de Graaf, illustrator, and Tom Brown, animator). The film and score will be available online and as part of the Hastings Museum & Art Gallery’s permanent collection.
- The Kingdom of Paul Nash (research and development, 2016)May 22, 2016 - 7:32 am
“I now recall / the paths we scored / across the Purbeck moon” (Purbeck Moon, The Cabinet of Living Cinema). Through the Spring of 2016 we begin writing ballads to tell the tale of Paul Nash and fellow surrealist Eileen Agar’s love affair with each other and with the Purbeck landscape, using voice and traditional […]
- RT @SirTwinBeard: @CabinetofLC @TheGulbenkian This was amazing! Thank you so much... I know this film well but your musical accompani… https://t.co/6b3bTo10b7, Nov 10
- RT @screen25cinema: Snack packing for tomorrow's screening of #Coco with a sound effects workshop hosted by @CabinetofLC! A few tickets… https://t.co/XWRSac9YtB, Nov 10
- Two more days until we perform @TheGulbenkian Canterbury, with The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - live score with harp,… https://t.co/rrBStPfHyv, Nov 7
- Next stop on our tour is @TheGulbenkian with The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Fri 9th Nov 7.30pm https://t.co/gamGa0lZIJ, Nov 4
- See you tomorrow - St. Peter’s, Bournemouth. https://t.co/jYwfe5feA4 @ShelleyFestival @shortsoundsfest https://t.co/zLeAYhdhfO, Nov 1